Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Quite a Production

I have to apologize for yesterday. The virus that got the boys last week finally hit me over the weekend. I was still recovering yesterday and just couldn't get the blog written. I hope you all are feeling well and surviving the flu/cold season of this year. If not, I can feel your pain (particularly in my throat!!)

My question for the day on Friday was "What is the largest industry in Germany?" Germany's economy, as you can guess by the number of German inventions I have discussed, is big - really big. It is 4th in the world following only the US, Japan, and China, and is the largest in Europe. Germany's economy is export driven. In fact, it is the world's largest exporter. As for what it is exporting, there are two major industries: automobiles and machine tools. In automobiles, it is the third largest producer in the world, only lagging behind the US and Japan. It has the world's largest portion of the machine tool industry, of which my husband's company, Bosch, is a part of. Bosch is also a major producer of automobile parts for the above mentioned auto industry. The list of total industries that are produced in Germany is iron, steel, coal, cement, chemicals, machinery, vehicles, machine tools, construction, electronics, food and beverages, shipbuilding, and textiles.

This leads to my question for the day: "Who was Robert Bosch?"

The word for the day is industry: der Industrie - pronounced as we would say it.

Auf Wiedersehen,
Frau Spitzer