rspective. As of yesterday, there was not much left on the ground and nothing on our patio due to the melting from when the sun came out. This is what we awoke to today. They are expecting 20 cm (8 inches) total, but I'd say we have already gotten that, and it is still coming down. Once it stops, I'll try to measure. It is blowing around so much, though, that I am not sure I can get an accurate measurement. These are pictures of our little tree we have on our patio, the scene from our patio looking outwards and of the scene from the front looking down the street.Yesterday, I asked what is the portion of Fasching that is called Weiberfastnacht. This is one of the more wacky days of this season, and it falls on the Thursday before Ash Wednesday. It is loosely translated as Women's Fasching Night (Weib is a dialect word for wife). The custom is mostly a work one, but any man wearing a tie on this day to work will most likely only have a portion of it to go home with. All the women go around with scissors and cut the men's ties off. Women in my evening class last night explained that in their offices, they have a collection from over the years of all the ties that they have cut. In some places, too, this may be a time for women to be able to kiss any man she would like to kiss, although the ladies in my group last night said that they don't know anyone who does this portion of the tradition. This tradition may be more regional than over all of Germany, and if there is ever a place to celebrate regional events, it is in Bavaria. Overall, though, my opinion of all the events for Fasching is a chance for these otherwise very reserved people to go a bit crazy.
My husband and I will be going to a work party for Weiberfasching on Thursday night. I need to go buy a very inexpensive tie, but with the weather being so amazingly wonderful for me today, I think I will stay behind the glass and watch in awe. 

The word for the day is neck tie: die Krawatte (krah vah teh).
Tomorrow, we will look at the Fasching Parade.
Auf Wiedersehen,
Frau Spitzer

