I asked the question in my blog yesterday of "What is a Dirndl?" A Dirndl is the traditional dress of the Bavarian women. Bavaria is one of the last strongholds of all the old traditions, including the language. Allgäu, which they speak here, is one of a handfuls of very strong dialects that still remain. Allgäu, I am told, is very much like the language they spoke here for many hundreds of years. It is such a strong accent, that many Germans from other areas cannot understand what is being said. In school, my children tell me they learn both German and Allgäu, as if it is a separate language. Many of the customs also remain, which I have referred to and will continue to tell you about, as well as traditional style clothes. There are stores that sell nothing but the traditional clothes. Farmers and locals alike will often be seen in the green felt hats and lederhosen. Lederhosen are the traditional dress for men - knee length or shorter suede pants with the leather suspenders. I have often seen particularly older men dressed as such, even walking around the mall. My pictures of Viesheid back in October show some examples of men and women in these traditional style dress.
The Dirndl is the dress, though, that is most identifiable with the region. In most restaurants, the waitresses will be in this style clothing. It consists of a short-sleeved, mid-waisted or higher white blouse, a colored jumper, and an apron the ties over it. Work clothes will not be as fancy as the formal dresses, but they will still be in the same style. Formal dresses are often embellished with elaborate needlework, fancy metal hooks across the bodice which allows a chain to be laced across the chest, and bright colors.
The dirndl was originally the dress of the handmaiden and was of very practical material and make. The apron (called a Schürze) was available to wipe the hands or as an added work cloth. In the late 1800's, though, this changed due to Kaiser Franz Joseph. The elite of the day followed his trend, and made traditional dress fashionable.
My husband and I bought the formal version of these clothes before Christmas - as a keepsake of our experience here. Also, formal parties in the area for work or other events often still require the wearing of these outfits, so we wanted to be prepared for any of these type events. Although the dress I truly fell in love with was exquisite, it was also entirely too expensive. Dirndls that are handmade can cost as much as 1200 euros. Mine was considerably less, however, and is missing some of the most special qualities that make them so expensive. However, I still am very happy with my dress. Although we have yet to have pictures made in our traditional clothing, I do have pictures of the clothing.


