The weather so far has turned out to be just as "interesting" as predicted. It started out as rain, and then 10 minutes later, sleet, mixed with snow, back to rain. Then, the sun came out. Overnight, it poured more rain, and today we are expecting 5 cm of snow. When we left for school, it was lightly raining this morning. You get the idea. At the moment, however, it is snowing. Now I wonder how long before it changes again.
Today is the Presidential Inauguration of the 44th president of our great country. We will be watching the elections. We will plan to eat in front of our TV to catch the events of this very important day. I can honestly say I have at least caught a glimpse of the presidential inaugurations each time they have happened since 1976, when Jimmy Carter defeated Ford to become the president. Today, the weather looks to be cold, but otherwise ok in Washington, DC, with perhaps a lingering snowflake or two. I have seen it be unusually warm, unusually cold, snowy or even totally non-eventful. I can't say that I have been happy about each person that was being inaugurated, but I still think it is important to watch what is taking place during this momentous part of what makes our country great. It is the process of our government - the process of the people, by the people, for the people. And it is the process of the person - the person called President, who although is only a human, today is elevated above that. I am worried about the height of this elevator that Barack Obama has been put on.
My perspective of this election is coming through the European lens this year. It is very interesting to see how the world is viewing this man. In a Canadian Press article dated Jan 18th, it says "The inauguration of the 44th U.S. president will see Canadians gather in theatres, school gymnasiums, churches and offices nationwide to celebrate Barack Obama as if he were one of their own." In Barcelona, they have created a "painting" made of dirt and gravel so large that it must be viewed from the air to see the image. I read a comment on a blogger from Spain that the youth there are willing to give American politics another chance. There, they are chanting in Spanish, "Yes, it can be done." In England, they will have a big bash (the person in charge of the party was featured on CNN World yesterday morning). In France, they have designers screen-painting Obama T-shirts and Obama art exhibits along with Chicago soul musicians playing. I also read an article that even the stock markets in Europe were set to open higher in celebration of the hopes the new president will help fix the economic woes of America. Perhaps, perhaps not. England is still having bank woes as is the rest of us.
All over the world there seem to be parties planned to honor the event. In Melbourne, Australia, they are having a "Bye Bye Bush Ball". In Hong Kong, there will be an all night party where people are dressing in anything from Obama T-shirts to black tie fancy clothes. In Obama's father's hometown in Africa, people are featured carrying signs of their new celebrity hero. Tourists are travelling there to celebrate and view the inauguration. The town of Obama, Japan, made a festival out of his winning the election. For the inauguration, they will be hosting a new-found surplus of tourists to their town where they serve Obama burgers. Bookstores throughout Japan have dedicated sections to Obama's books and speeches. Israel is removing troops out of Gaza in time for the inauguration to help with the relations with the new president. For those people ravaged by that war, regardless of the reason, any day without bombings is one to celebrate.
When Obama visited Germany during the elections, people by the thousands came out to see him. For the inauguration, many will be watching from their local pubs and restaurants. I have had locals come talk to me about how I see his being a president. An inaugural ball is set to happen in Munich with dancing and dining along with a broadcast of the events happening in Washington. The local news here is already carrying information on his upcoming planned events in April to Berlin and about organizations asking him to also make an appearance in February at a European Affairs meeting.
People everywhere seem to think that this moment in time, this unlikely person to gain the seat of the presidency, will somehow change the world. I am worried about how high the bar has been set. I spoke yesterday about race relations. It is a subject that has come up time and time again in this election. I think, personally, Barack Obama has deflected these as best as he could, but the tensions still remain. Will the black people of America expect too much and revolt if they are let down? Will the extremist white groups of America allow him to attempt to be a good president for all the people? Will the common people of America hold him to any different standards? The race issue is there whether we want it to be or not.
And there are many other issues: the economy, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, job losses, education, the environment and its effect on our economy, repair of the foreign relations crisis that Bush left behind, ... the list goes on and on. I will watch with held breath today for this man, this father of two little girls - both younger than my children - this husband to a quiet, caring wife, this man upon whose shoulders rests, it seems, the world.
I read in his bio on Wikipedia a very touching statement - in relation to the black rights movement and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - that says "Rosa sat so Martin could walk; Martin walked so Obama could run; Obama is running so our children can fly." All of America badly needs to fly - not just black America. For all our sakes, I hope he can pull off the miracle, but I also hope that we can all temper, just a bit, our expectations to allow a miracle, if one is possible, to happen. Happy Inauguration Day - Happy American Government in Action Day! Now - hold your breath, cross your fingers, and prepare for the ride.
The word of the day is President: der Präsident (preh see dehnt).
The question of the day is "Is Martin Luther King, Jr.'s name really Martin Luther King, Jr.?"
Auf Wiedersehen,
Frau Spitzer