Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!!!

I wish you all the best Halloween. Please stay safe and have fun. I would love to see some pictures of your costumes! Feel free to ask your teacher to send some my way!

My question for the day yesterday was: Do Germans celebrate Halloween? Well, the answer is not really. I had both my children ask their friends about it, and all their friends said that they don't do anything here about it. Although there are a few decorations of plastic carved pumpkins here and there, they are really more rare than not. Also, as far as costumes, spiderwebs, etc., I have yet to see any of that. We are in an area that is very tradition oriented. Since Halloween is not a German tradition, it is even less celebrated here than in other parts of Germany. But, I hear that it is starting to catch on due to exposure to American TV shows and movies. Some children may go trick-or-treating tonight, but most will not even be in costume, and they may find many a door that has no candy on hand.

Oh, and also, I have not yet seen any pumpkins in the store that we could carve; however, they do sell a different kind of pumpkin that they cook. I bought one of these at the outdoor market on Wednesday and cooked it to prepare for Thanksgiving. One of the many food items I cannot get here is canned pumpkin, if you can believe that. So I have made my own. I hope it works in the pie, because I honestly have never used the fresh stuff when cooking pumpkin items.

Thanks to my mother and my husband's mother for sending us some treats through the mail. We may not be trick-or-treating tonight, but we will enjoy a good family scary movie and some good ol' fashioned Halloween candy!

The question for the day today is: "How does the German government work?"
The words for the day are Fear - die Angst (ahngst), Pumpkin - der Kürbis (coour bis - trumpet the oou sound), Witch - die Hexe (hehks eh), Ghost - der Geist (hard "g" long "i" st)
Happy Halloween!!

Auf Wiedersehen,
Frau Spitzer