Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Candy Man Can

Let me first start with the snow. Yes, it did snow here this morning. It was beautiful with big flakes. My oldest son and I got to walk to school and breakfast in the snow. It was just wonderful. BUT ... it was too warm to stick, and by the time I was able to get back to my camera, the sun had come out, and it turned to rain. It began to flake again a bit ago, and I tried to take a picture. See if you can see the flakes in this picture. You may have to click on it to see it as the big picture. I just wish it had stuck a little so that you could see it better.


The town near my husband's work has a ski lift. Here, they get more snow the further SOUTH you go! And south of us, the snow was enough to stick. Check out the picture from the webcam in Immenstadt to see the local snow at a little higher elevation.

My question for the day yesterday relates heavily to tomorrow night for you in America: "What is the most common candy in Germany?" Well, it depends on what you call common. If you mean chocolate, there are so many varieties and flavors, that by far you will find chocolate the most common - everywhere! But if you mean true candy, excluding chocolate, then I would say Haribo brand gummi candy is definitely the most common.

Haribo started in 1920 in Bonn, Germany. The name comes from the first letters of the name of the owner of the company, Hans Riegel from Bonn. HA RI BO. His sons, Hans, Jr. and Paul, continued the business after their father's passing in the 1940s. Today, it is one of the biggest producers of gummi candy and jellied candies in the world, and it is still a family run business. It has multiple plants in Europe and is also distributed heavily in the United States.

One big difference I've noticed between the Haribo products here versus the US is the sheer variety of choice. I must say this is true in flavors of chocolate as well. There is a drug store in Kempten that is two stories high, and in their candy section, which is quite impressive, we must have seen at least 50 different shapes and flavors of the Haribo candy alone. My kids were speechless, to say the least, at the overwhelming volume of gummi candy before them. They come in frogs, replicas of berries of different flavors, sour, regular golden bears, fruit bears, lizards, dragons, marzipan shapes, Dracula candies, tires, and on and on. I, on the other hand, being the chocoholic that I have become, did the same jaw-dropping reaction to the chocolate selection.

For Halloween, perhaps you will get some of the delicious gummi candies, too. Here for Halloween, things are done a little differently, but that will have to wait till tomorrow, because the question for the day today is "Do Germans celebrate Halloween?"

The word for the day is Candy: die Süßigkeit - pronounced suuss ihch kite (trumpet the u sound, and make that cat cough for the ch)

Auf Wiedersehen,
Frau Spitzer