Thursday, February 11, 2010

Our Little Bed and Breakfast

Yeah!!! My class is over, and I learned today that I passed the B1 test for my Deutsch Certifikat. I will get my formal letters later in the month, but I also got one from the school today. I am so relieved!!

Today’s blog is a look back at our many visitors to our little apartment during the fall. As I mentioned before, we enjoyed visits from my aunt and uncle while they were in Europe, my cousin Emily - a real highlight for me since I never get to see her, and Wayne’s parents. We really enjoyed having everyone with us!!

Below are some pictures from each of their visits with us. Sorry for the quantity of pictures, but as you know, I’m still trying to catch up. Tune back in next time for a trip to the Black Forest and a trip down Holiday Lane that will take us to the end of 2009. After that, a little snow and some important birthday items. Finally, a look ahead at our last last few months here. I can't believe it is nearly over!!!!

John enjoying a beer in the hotel just before they flew out. Although their time with us had to be short (only 1 full day), we made the most of it in our little town of Kempten, seeing the church, farmers market, and a local bakery and cafe.

Liz and I while we waited for their train to Munich.


Eating out in the local shopping area.





The local catholic church here in Kempten.

Enjoying the many sins of our local bakeries/coffee shops.

The choices were obviously difficult for us all.








---------------------------------------------------------
This was the culmination of the project we all worked on while Wayne's parents were visiting. You'll see this puzzle in various stages throughout their stay. Ironically, it was a puzzle I found here of Rainbow Row in Charleston.

A walk around the town and into the church, again on market day. We have an amazing market here. I will REALLY miss it!!



Wayne was the tour guide for their visit. One of the main sites was a trip to the Dachau concentration camp near Munich. It is always a sobering visit.
Here is a look at the dreaded ovens used on the prisoners.

Art that reflects the realities.



This saying was on all the gates of the camps: Arbeit macht frei. It means "work liberates."





Unfortuantely for my warmth-loving in-laws, we actually got a bit of snow here while they visited. Although, it basically melted here, up in the mountains, at the Farmers Museum, it was quite deep considering it was October.





---------------------------------------------------------
In between the other two visits, we got a wonderful few days with my cousin. We toured as much as we could of the local sites, including an ill-fated hike to a closed guesthouse in the pouring rain. After that day, though, we got a chance to see the wonders of Ulm and its old town on the Danube. There are many streams that run off into the river that go right through the town and flow around the houses!!
In summer, this must be just lovely!

Some houses fair better than others. This one is indeed falling into the water, but slowly enough that it continues to be "fixed". It is a famous site in Ulm. Notice the windows in relation to the wooden beams. It is really funny to look at.

The inside of the Ulm Cathedral. It is really an incredible site. This church has the tallest spire in Germany.

Here is the location of Albert Einstein's former home. Now, it is in the middle of a shopping district. Such is progress.

Another highlight of our time with my cousin was a trip to see Ludwig's only completed home, Linderhof. It is my favorite of all his ventures.

One of the many surprises here is his manmade cave where he had private performances of his favorite opera while he was occasionally rowed around on his manmade lake with its own on-demand waterfall. It's good to be the king, no? We are very glad we got to see it. This year, it will be closed for a 15 year renovation as the land is reclaming this structure, and it is becoming unstable.




The other famous castles of Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein.

Ah yes, the ill-fated hiking trip. It was raining so hard, we had to start our trip with a break one of the mountain guest houses at the top of the hike. Although it tasted ok, it wasn't the greatest food. That was supposed to be at our scheduled stop to another guest house. Boy were we disappointed!!!

Our first day together was a trip to Lake Constance and the western city of Lindau on the lake. Although I still prefer Meersburg, this is still a wonderful and worthwhile place to visit.



The Rathaus (coucil hall). I never get over the lovely artistic accents to the buildings here.

This fountain was particularly enjoyable for me.

At the entrance to the ship docks are the new lighthouse and city monument. It makes a striking backdrop!