Today's blog is a bit of a refresher blog. Yesterday, I had the realization that Germany is now only 5 hours behind the USA. The American Daylight Savings time went into effect for you on Sunday. We will not switch until March 29th, giving a change in usual time difference of one less hour for an entire 3 weeks. When we traditionally call businesses and family/friends will have to be slightly adjusted.
I originally wrote about this issue and its history in the October entry entitled Tiii-iii-ii-ime Is on My Side - Yes, It Is! when we switched back to Standard Daylight. At that time, we were again only 5 hours ahead, but for only one week. The Daylight Savings schedule in the US for 2009 is from March 8th to November 1st. In Germany it is from March 29th to October 26th.
I hope you have had a chance by now to adjust to that one less hour of sleep. I am not looking forward to the alarm ringing earlier here, either, since I am not a morning person. But for us, it is already daylight when we are waking, at least, making it easier to get up. Each week, we are gaining about 20 minutes of daylight due to our very high latitudes. (Did you remember that Germany is more north than the state of Maine?) When we officially move our clocks, we should still be seeing daylight to help us get up then, too.
The words for the day are reviews - clock: die Uhr (oor where the "oo" is somewhere between book and zoo) and time: die Zeit (tsite).
The question for the day stems from today's news: How do German schools protect from intruders?
Auf Wiedersehen,
Frau Spitzer